Monday, November 22, 2010

Just Splashin' Around

By the grace of (insert your preferred deity here), my work hours have been changed and I can now find constructive ways to fill my afternoon.  I think my hobby of choice for now will be swimming. Nebraska this time of year isn't favorable for pool activities, so luckily I have access to a gym with a heated pool (I use the term 'heated' very loosely mind you).  I plan to go at least 4 times a week, which I have to confess isn't very Paleo of me.  

Paleo recommends only 1 day of real, heart-pumping action a week (unless you are a hard-core athlete in training... um, yeah, that's not me). That's it. Fill the other days with none to less moderate exercise, and be sure to rest a lot. Cavemen didn't have treadmills, or ellipticals, they moved to survive. They walked places, lifted heavy items and ran like hell when they were being chased by bears. They stopped when they were tired, rested when they needed to, and only overly exerted themselves when it meant saving their own lives.  People who you might expect to be 'healthy' just based on what they can do might surprise you.  Sure a muscle man can lift a car off the ground, but do you think he can outrun some punk who took his wallet?  A marathon runner may be able to go the distance, but can they lift a branch that has fallen on a friend (or carry large amounts of freshly killed mammoth)? Probably not.

Our Paleolithic ancestors were the pictures of health, which every modern Paleo is trying to achieve, and it's not as hard as you think it would be.  I am not there, yet.... I'm still working on it. Hence my fat ass is going to the pool.  I choose the pool for a couple different reasons: Low impact, Water resistance (yes, I use water weights in the pool), Full body workout, and I just love smelling like chlorine.  Well, maybe not that last one.  I figure that it'll be the best way to work the most things in one shot.  Plus I figure Cavemen swam from time to time (right?).  Once I build enough stamina for swimming I'll probably cut back to just once or twice a week (and be a good little Paleo), but for now, I have to lose a bit more flab before my cruise next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment