Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Paleo Thanksgiving

A few times today I was asked by coworkers, who know I'm Paleo, if I was planning to 'cheat' on my diet for tomorrow's Thanksgiving meal. I felt very triumphant to say that I didn't have to. Yay!  I feel very confident about my cooking abilities this year in regards to Thanksgiving, in fact I have a delicious menu planned, and will make (almost) everything from scratch. If I had to guess, I'd say it's somewhere between 95-98% Paleo. 
My planned menu is as follows:
      Appetizers:
           Stuffed Cherry Tomato's
           Spicy Deviled Eggs
           Meatballs
      Main Course :
           (Paper Bag) Turkey
           Ham
           Mashed Potatoes (I know... not quite Paleo, also the only thing I'm not making from scratch)
           Cooked Carrots
           Cranberry Sauce
      Dessert:
           Apple Pie
           Pumpkin Pie
           Coconut Macadamia Bark

I am very excited about the deliciousness of our feast, and knowing that everything I've made is from all natural (and simple) ingredients, makes me feel really pleased that I'm doing something good for myself. 

I have already prepared a few of these dishes and am impressed with the recipes that I've found that replace the modern-day sugars.  I used 100% pure maple syrup (this is the real thing, not the kind of thing that comes in a bottle shaped like a lady) to sweeten my cranberry sauce, and I used coconut milk and maple syrup granules (a possible Paleo gray area, but o.k. by my means) to make my pumpkin pie filling, which happens to be the best that I have ever personally tasted (literally!  Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to turn out half as good as it did!).  I'll gladly post any of these recipes by request, just know I can't take any credit for creating them; I'm just so thankful to have access to so many great Paleo websites (who all seem to be overflowing with yummy recipes this time of year!)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow, (and even if you don't celebrate it) may your day be filled with good food, good people, and good health!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steph! I'm glad you are doing so well! I'm eagerly awaiting your next installment. :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete